William Northway Jr.
Ann Arbor, MI
I enjoy learning, creating, sharing and working collaboratively
to help people get more out of technology.
Senior Software Engineer - User Experience
with Arbor Networks
June 2007 through present
Lead the user experience software development of Arbor's ISP-oriented network security and management product, Peakflow SP. Duties include:
- In an agile environment, define user interaction and application workflow through layout mockups and reach consensus with stakeholders
- Implement data-driven interactive web application features,
including unit testing
- Document design decisions and testing plan in light-weight functional specifications
- Engage in peer-review of written code, both sharing and reviewing and mentoring the work of others
- Keep up on the latest of state of the art
Web Developer and MySQL DBA
with ITCS / UMCE Webmasters, University of Michigan
January 2002 through May 2007
Web development for high profile applications serving tens of thousands of users: biannual student government elections, mfile / filedrawers, a web-based openAFS file manager, and the Standard Practice Guide, involving a custom content administration tool.
Other duties included:
- MySQL database administration for over 20 servers (with replication) backing various web applications, preferences data for central webmail, and SpamBusters antispam service.
- Apache and Linux system administration for over 70 webservers, involving forensics and customer service related to supported services.
- Project management for centralized web application signup service, developed process for departmental sharing around a linux from scratch project.
- Other duties including: documentation, community outreach, consulting, and promoting usability, accessibility, and security issues across campus.
December 1998 to May 2007
Website development for an assortment of
the Ann Arbor Film Festival, Rocks and Robots Summer Camp, etc.
with Diamond Bullet Design
November 2000 to January 2002
Designed and built an e-commerce package with
an emphasis on usability. Also handled
database-backed web development; updating development
methodologies; webserver system administration and project
with CommerceOne, (formerly Appnet, Detroit (formerly Sigma6))
May 1999 to September 2000
Collaboratively created and maintained
national corporate e-commerce websites.
New Media Specialist
in Office of Instructional Technology, University of Michigan
September 1998 to May 1999
Authored multimedia and websites to assist
with classroom instruction, and consulted for faculty.
for EECS, University of Michigan
September 1997 to May 1998
Instructed lab courses on general computing usage, with
a focus on MS Office.
for ITD, University of Michigan
June 1997 to September 1998
Desktop support for campus computing sites.
- experienced in: Perl, XML / xpath, bash scripting, python, HTML5, CSS3
- have used: C, C++, Java, Oracle
- Well-versed in concepts such as usability, accessibility,
information architecture, object-oriented programming, software
engineering and functional specifications, agile development,
GNU/open source software, regular expressions, data structures,
and run-time efficiency analysis
- Development tools such as: vim, SVN, CVS, RCS, Firebug,
validation and IDEs
- Experience with administration of various open source
web applications including: Gallery, MediaWiki, Drupal,
Wordpress, and phpMyAdmin
- Linux system administration skills involving
installation, tripwires and loadsets, issue diagnosis,
and Apache administration
- Proficient with MacOS X and Linux. Also
knowledgeable with Solaris and other unix-based operating systems
- Experienced with desktop multimedia applications including:
Photoshop, Illustrator, OmniGraffle, Flash, iMovie/iDVD, iPhoto,
- Statistics studies involved computational and
modeling work with S-Plus (similar to R), SPSS, and MyStat
- University of Michigan, B.A., December 1997
Major: Statistics, other interests in Computer Science, French, and Film Theory
- Université de Laval, Summer 1995
Québecois French studies
Projects and Presentations
Document / content management system used to
track of an organization's agreements and minutes by committee
and full group meetings. List by date, group, or search
for content and compare difference to previous versions.
AFS & Kerberos Best Practices Workshop, June 2006
AFS through the Web with Waklog
- Treasurer, work manager, webmaster, software developer, cook, and other community building positions for Great Oak Cohousing
- Webmaster and volunteer: Ann Arbor Film Festival 1996 to 2005
- Cabin Counselor: Crystalaire Summer Camp 1993, 1994 and 1996
- Hobbies: kickball, photography, vegetarian cooking, home improvement, organic gardening, ice hockey, taiji, homebrewing, mountain biking, skiing & snowboarding, camping, waterskiing, racquetball, and video authoring